SchoolCenter Picture

Vol. I, No. 16  |  June 26, 2009

SchoolCenter Picture E-Fliers
Check out student summer activities via the Community fliers now distributed online.  See you on the first day of school - September 2nd!
SchoolCenter Picture Message from Superintendent Francois

Dear Northshore Parents and Community Members,

With my first year as superintendent of the Northshore School District drawing to a close, I find myself reflecting on the journey of the past 12 months and the surprises we encountered along the way - both good and bad.  Read more
SchoolCenter Picture

Board Approved Adoption of New Math Curriculum

The Board of Directors approved the adoption of Math Expressions as the K-5 core math curriculum at its June 9th board meeting.  This is the first time in many years Northshore has purchased a new district-wide curriculum for our students and teachers.

Math Expressions is one of only two K-5 curriculum recommended for adoption by OSPI.  The program is constructed to match the stair-step mastery of skills presented in the new state math standards. 

Two math curriculums, Prentice-Hall and Holt, will be piloted this fall for grades 6-11.  Adoption of a new curriculum is planned for Fall 2010.

SchoolCenter Picture

Backpacks For Kids Drive 2009

Summer is here and the 10th annual Backpacks for Kids campaign will soon begin.  This multi-week campaign benefits local families who are unable to send their children to school with necessary school supplies.  The supply drive will be held July 16 through August 10th.  Read more
SchoolCenter Picture
Congratulations, Transportation Department

The Washington State Traffic Safety Commission awarded the Transportation Department a $90,000 grant to install flashing school zone beacons at Cottage Lake, Bear Creek, Woodmoor, East Ridge, Sunrise, Wellington, and Hollywood Hill.

A major factor involving speeding in school zones is driver unawareness; by installing flashing beacons at the identified sites, student safety will be greatly increased.
SchoolCenter Picture
Northshore Summer Work Hours

All Northshore schools will be closed during July and will re-open on August 3.  The District Administrative Center will be closed on Thursday, July 2 and Friday, July 3 for the Independence Day holiday.  The building will also be closed on all succeeding Fridays in July.  July office hours will be Monday-Thursday, 7AM - 5PM.  Regular office hours will resume on Monday, August 3.  HAVE A NICE SUMMER!

SchoolCenter Picture

Back to School Fair - August 19th

Mark you calendar for the Back to School Fair, August 19th, 4PM-6:30PM at Maywood Hills Elementary.

All ages are welcome to attend this FREE event.  There will be music, food and drinks, child I.D. cards, kids' haircuts, school and community resource information, and children's activities.

SchoolCenter Picture School Board Meeting
The next School Board meeting is July 14, 4PM, at the Administrative Center Board Room.

SchoolCenter Picture

Calendar

6/29-7/30: Secondary Summer Academy
6/2: no class for Secondary Summer Academy
6/2 & 3: District holidays -July 4th observance
7/6-7/31:
Elementary Summer Academy 7/6-7/17: Technology Camp, grades 5-8
7/14:
School Board Meeting, 4:00PM,
        Administrative Center Board Room
7/16-8/10: Backpacks for Kids
donation campaign  8/19: Back to School Fair

District Calendar

SchoolCenter Picture

Around the District ...  

Para entrar a las conexiones de Northshore - y mantenerce conectado con las noticias y la información más recientes, click. Subscribe

Northshore Connections is published twice monthly during the school year by Northshore Public Schools #417. It is designed to inform community members about the strategic direction of the district as well as provide routine information of interest. Direct your questions and/or comments to the Editor.